Monday, October 2, 2017

A Mini Mummy

London asks constantly if it's Halloween yet. "29 days until Halloween" was not what he wanted to hear. Cue the whining. I tried to lighten his mood by reminding him of all the fun Halloween stuff we can do before it's actually Halloween. So today we did a little Halloween craft, inspired by this one: https://iheartcraftythings.com/yarn-wrapped-mummy-craft.html. The inspiration-mummy is much cuter than ours, but at least London enjoyed making it. 

All you need is:
- About 4-5 yards of yarn per mummy
-Manila File Folder
-Pencil
-Scissors
-Crayons
-Elmer's Glue
-Googly Eyes

First, I drew a gingerbread man shape onto a manila file folder. I just free-handed it sloppily, but you could always trace one (you could try using a gingerbread man cookie cutter for the shape):


Then, I cut it out, conveniently making 2 for the effort of 1.


Next, London and Bodhi each colored their mummies. London was pretty thorough. 
London's occupational therapist once explained to me that coloring and writing can be hard for kids with sensory processing issues. Sometimes they have bad handwriting or grip extra hard on whatever utensil they're using. Sometimes thicker utensils, such as thick markers or pencils with a grip, can be easier for these kids to use. London is sometimes guilty of the death-pencil/crayon-grip, and his hand gets tired easily (which could also just be because he is four and has a short attention span).
Nevertheless, he powered through. 
Bodhi, on the other hand, colored for a minute,
then dumped the whole box of crayons all over the floor. 


I tied some yarn onto the mummys-to-be. A little morbid/spooky as is.


Then you just wrap the yarn around. 
This is as far as London got before he wanted me to just do it for him.


 Then, he glued on the googly eyes. Cute mini mummy ninja.


Bodhi was disinterested in trying to wrap it himself, but very interested in unwrapping it after I wrapped it up. So, we left it at this stage and just added the eyes. 


Happy Halloween in 29 wake-ups!

No comments:

Post a Comment